A Chat with Creator ALL CITY
DAO, or Decentralized Autonomous Organization, is a concept that may be unfamiliar to many.
A DAO is an organization managed through a blockchain-based voting system rather than a centralized authority. This structure allows for transparency, community involvement, and democratic decision-making. Those traits make DAOs unique opportunities and challenging to organize and run.
The ApeCoin DAO, often associated with the Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC), is a prime example of such an organization. It offers a platform for the community to come together, pool resources, and fund projects that align with their interests. Each APE coin represents one vote, empowering community members to participate in decisions related to the organization’s 1.8 billion Euro treasury. You read that correctly, 1.8 billion with a B.
ALL CITY, a prominent figure within the ApeCoin DAO, recently secured a grant to develop a community magazine project called Beyond the Swamp. Our conversation with him provided a fascinating look into the world of magazines, NFTs, and the thriving community behind the BAYC.
Initially, ALL CITY started as a graffiti artist and template designer, creating sketchbooks or “Blackbooks” before deciding to go digital on platforms like Clubhouse and Twitter Spaces. In 2021, he discovered the world of NFTs and their art-centric focus. After purchasing an ape for 1.25 ETH, he quickly became immersed in the vibrant BAYC community.
When asked about his project, ALL CITY said, “I wanted to create a magazine that represents and celebrates Yuga communities with ApeCoin as our North Star.”
I asked, “What value do the NFTs, what many call a simple jpeg, provide to the community?”
ALL CITY explained the community with passion. The community gains value from projects funded by the ApeCoin DAO in several ways:
- Engagement and interaction: “These projects encourage members to engage and interact with one another, fostering a sense of belonging and creating a vibrant environment where people bond over shared interests and experiences,” ALL CITY explained.
- Exposure and recognition: Projects like Beyond the Swamp magazine can attract attention from outside the community, raising the profile of the BAYC and increasing the value of the associated NFTs.
- Skill development and collaboration: “Community-driven projects provide opportunities for members to learn new skills, share their talents, and collaborate with others, building a more diverse and skilled community,” ALL CITY shared.
- Economic opportunities: By supporting creative projects, the ApeCoin DAO can drive demand for related NFTs and other digital assets, increasing asset values and potential revenue streams.
- Community pride and identity: Backing projects that reflect the community’s values and spirit strengthens the community’s identity and pride, ensuring long-term success and sustainability.
This June, I will meet ALL CITY IRL (in real life) at an exciting event here in Portugal. We will attend the sold-out Non-Fungible Conference (NFC) in Lisbon, Portugal, from June 7-9.
As Europe’s second-largest NFT conference, this event presents a unique opportunity for him to showcase Beyond the Swamp magazine and network with other NFT enthusiasts. His presence at the conference highlights the impact that ApeCoin DAO’s support can have on individuals and their projects.
NFTs are exciting because they are fun and about building community and participating in an attractive, world-changing technological revolution.
I am a CryptoPunks owner since ALL CITY bought his Ape at the same time. I turned down trading a Meebit for two Apes because “I didn’t like the art,” hah! There was tribalism at the time, and they were in the other tribe. “The art was bold, ridiculous, and less classy than punk art!” I thought. While punks are still doing great, we watched as the Apes have outperformed in every way. I learned a lesson to keep an open mind, and if people are excited about something, maybe there is a community behind it after all.
The point is we can all win in NFTs. CryptoPunks is never dead, and Yuga Labs bought Larva Labs last year anyway, so we can all contribute to each other’s success now. My company UAP Society is launching our second collection of NFTs at the conference, the CryptoUAPeez, based on the CryptoPunks. It is an exciting time to be alive, and the strength of NFTs is the community they build.
In conclusion, the ApeCoin DAO’s decision to fund ALL CITY’s Beyond the Swamp community magazine project demonstrates the organization’s dedication to fostering innovation and creativity within the Yuga ecosystem. As a non-repayable grant, ALL CITY has complete control over the project, with the ApeCoin DAO’s support. By backing projects like these, the DAO generates value for its community, promoting engagement, exposure, skill development, economic opportunities, and a strong sense of identity.
The upcoming Non-Fungible Conference in Lisbon is a testament to the power of community-driven initiatives and the exciting potential of combining art, technology, and collaboration.
What do you think about NFTs? Do you see value in their community-oriented approach? We love to hear from you at The Portugal News!